LIVE & BECOME
Va, vis et deviens
A film by Radu Mihaileanu
1984. Hundreds of thousands from 26 famine-struck countries find themselves in camps in Sudan. Initiated by Israel and the United States, a vast project (Operation Moses) is undertaken to bring the Ethiopian Jews (Falashas) to Israel.
A Christian mother pushes her 9-year-old son to declare himself Jewish, in order to survive.
The child arrives in the Promised Land. Officially an orphan, he is adopted by a French Sephardi family living in Tel-Aviv. He grows up fearing that his secrets and lies will be discovered: he is neither Jewish nor orphan, only black.
He will discover love, Western culture and Judaism as well as racism and war in the Occupied Territories. He will become Jewish, Israeli, French and Tunisian all at once ? a human Tower of Babel.
Yet he will never forget his real mother who stayed in the camp. Secretly and obstinately, he dreams of finding her again...
- Yael Abecassis (Yael)
- Roschdy Zem (Yoram)
- Moshe Agazai (Schlomo child)
- Moshe Abebe (Schlomo teenager)
- Sirak M. Sabahat (Schlomo adult)
- Denis Carot (Elzevir Films)
- Marie Masmonteil (Elzevir Films)
- Radu Mihaileanu (O? o? o? Productions)
- Armand Amar
- Rémy Chevrin (A.F.C.)
- Ludo Troch
- Running time
- 144 min
- 35mm - Scope
awards & nominations
- Berlin 2005 - Audience Award
- Berlin 2005 - Europa's Cinema Award
- Toronto 2005 - Contemporary World Cinema
- Copenhagen Film Festival - Best Film & Best Script
screenings in festivals & markets